After years of squinting and smiling, wrinkles on your forehead and around your eyes can linger even when the facial muscles that cause them are at rest. As we age, factors such as stress, gravity, smoking, and overexposure to the sun can all affect our appearance. If you feel that you look tired and older, discover the proven results that more than 11 million women and men have experienced with Botox cosmetic. Dr. Schrader can use Botox injections to eliminate wrinkles and lines to give your face a youthful and rejuvenated appearance. With this treatment, you can dramatically enhance your appearance and look years younger.
Botox addresses a specific type of facial crease, known as dynamic wrinkles. These lines form from repeated facial expressions, such as smiling, squinting or laughing. At first, you may only notice the line when you make those faces. However, over time the lines can become permanently etched on the face, giving you a persistently tired or angry look. Dynamic wrinkles usually form on the upper portion of the face, such as horizontal creases across the forehead, vertical indentations between the eyebrows (frown lines), and subtle wrinkles fanning out from the outer corners of the eyes (crow’s feet).
What is BOTOX?
BOTOX Cosmetic, introduced in 2002, is the first botulinum toxin to be approved by the FDA to temporarily treat moderate to severe glabellar lines, which are the horizontal lines between the eyebrows. It has since been approved for other wrinkles. BOTOX has also been approved for many years for a variety of non-cosmetic indications, such as treatment of headaches and eye spasms.
How does BOTOX work?
Aging skin and wrinkles result from a combination of factors. It’s not just about cellular changes, collagen depletion, hormone loss, or damage caused by sun exposure and free radicals; certain signs of aging called dynamic wrinkles are caused by repeated contractions of facial muscles. BOTOX Cosmetic softens these wrinkles by blocking nerve impulses to the injected muscles, temporarily reducing muscle activity and enabling the wrinkles to smooth away.
What improvements does BOTOX provide?
Dr. Schrader uses BOTOX to treat the following signs of aging:
- Forehead Lines – Horizontal lines across the forehead are often the result of repeatedly raising the eyebrows. Botox provides a smoother forehead by relaxing the muscles of the forehead.
- Botox Browlift – The brows tend to droop and hood the eyes over time, which can cause an upset appearance and may even impair vision. Botox lifts and restores the youthful arch in your brows by relaxing the muscles that pull your eyebrows downward.
- Frown Lines, Angry 11’s – Vertical lines or furrows between the eyebrows develop from scrunching the brows. Botox halts the movement of the brow muscles to restore youth to the eye area.
- Crow’s Feet – Fine lines at the corners of the eyes develop as a result of squinting or smiling. Botox relaxes the muscles around the eyes to diminish the appearance of crow’s feet.
- Under the Eyes – Years of squinting can cause wrinkles to develop beneath the eyes. Botox temporarily relaxes muscles around the lower eyelid to produce a more alert facial appearance.
- Drooping Corners of the Mouth – The corners of the mouth can begin to hand down over time, causing a sad or upset appearance. By relaxing the muscles around the mouth, Botox provides a more youthful smile.
- Chin Dimples – Indentations and irregularities on the chin can be caused by overactive muscles in the center of the chin. Botox hinders the movement of this muscle to allow your chin to take on a more youthful shape.
- Platysma Neck Bands – Bending the neck and lowering the head stretches the muscles and leads to vertical bands on the neck. Botox prevents the contraction movement of the platysma bands to provide a smoother neck.
Combining BOTOX treatments with JUVÉDERM® XC or another injectable filler can give you even more impressive results by addressing additional signs of aging such smile lines (nasolabial folds) in the same visit.
Common BOTOX Questions
We perform BOTOX treatments right in our office using a short, thin needle so there is little discomfort. The series of quick injections takes only about 10 to 15 minutes.
A significant reason BOTOX is so popular is because there is no required downtime; you may return to your regular routine right after your treatment. For the first few hours after your injections, we recommend avoiding exercise, keeping your head upright, and being careful not to touch or rub treated areas.
While injectable filler results are immediate, it takes a bit of time for BOTOX to take effect. Within 3 to 5 days, treated areas will gradually begin to relax and smooth out. Most patients notice continued improvement for 1 to 2 weeks.
If you live in the state of New Jersey, Schrader Plastic Surgery offers Botox among its services. For a full list of services, please visit our Locations page.
Results typically last 3 to 4 months after an initial BOTOX treatment. You can maintain your rested look with regular maintenance treatments. If you allow the muscles start working again, the lines will gradually return.
Why Choose Dr. Schrader
- She is a double board certified surgeon in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Otolaryngology & Head/Neck Surgery.
- Dr. Schrader is a member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- She has over 20 years of experience, 15+ years in private practice and has performed hundreds of facelift surgeries.
- Dr. Schrader Recognized as Best Plastic Surgeon by Town Topics Readers’ Choice Awards.
To visit facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Nicole Schrader, in New Jersey and find out how a BOTOX treatment can improve your appearance, request a consultation using our online form or call us at 609-279-0009.