While surgery and peels for wrinkles have been around for a long time, the science of microneedling (collagen induction therapy) is really changing up the world of cosmetic medicine and plastic surgery. Undergoing a series of microneedling treatments can firm and refresh wrinkled skin with very little discomfort or disruption. Additionally, microneedling can help you get rid of old acne scars. At Schrader Plastic Surgery in Princeton, NJ, you can get beautiful, rejuvenated skin with non-invasive SkinPen treatments.
- What is SkinPen Microneedling?
- How Does SkinPen Improve the Appearance of My Skin?
- How is the Microneedling procedure performed?
- What is the Recovery Time after a SkinPen Microneedling treatment?
- How Should I Get Ready for My Microneedling Procedure?
- What Risks Should I Be Concerned About SkinPen Microneedling?
- What can you combine with SkinPen Microneedling?
- FAQs about SkinPen Microneedling
What is SkinPen Microneedling?
The SkinPen tool is essentially a small roller equipped with tiny needles. It is FDA approved and is used to make a targeted series of very small “microchannels” or punctures in the skin.
If you have pitted acne scars or are seeing loose, or wrinkles, getting a microneedling consult can be a very simple way to functionally remodel the skin, breaking old tissue connections and building new ones for a firmer, smoother surface. It’s completely natural and harnesses the power of your body’s natural healing mechanisms.
How Does SkinPen Improve the Appearance of My Skin?
There are three different processes your skin will go through before you gain the full benefit of a SkinPen microneedling session:
1. When the tool is applied and the first breaks in the skin’s surface are made, you may notice some minor inflammation. Your body will go to work to repair the small punctures. Thus, your immune system cleans up what it sees as a wound, and blood flow increases to the treated area of skin.
2. As your body goes to work repairing your facial tissues, it will create new cells and blood vessels. During this repair period, staying out of the sun is critical for best results. You may notice a bit of redness at this time.
3. Finally, new tissue forms, thanks to the stimulated cells and the new blood vessels. Slowly the skin tone will even out and the surface will become more uniform and youthful.
How is the Microneedling procedure performed?
Your visit to our office should not take more than an hour or two. It is recommended that you let your skin rest after this therapy and protect it from sunlight.
Initially, the skin will be cleansed and a numbing topical may be applied to reduce any risk of discomfort during the procedure. The treatment itself should be done in about half an hour. Because the skin will be broken during this procedure, you will be briefly monitored after your session to make sure that you do not have an abnormal reaction. Finally, a soothing topical may be applied.
Some find that the skin is slightly reddened or irritated after this procedure. If you need to go back to work, it is recommended that you do not apply makeup to your skin after micro needling. The combination of fingertips, makeup, sponges, and brushes all increase your risk of bacterial exposure. If at all possible, leave your skin alone for a little while.
What is the Recovery Time after a SkinPen Microneedling treatment?
Microneedling generally does not require recovery, though there may be a little redness at the treatment site initially. If you notice any bruising or bleeding, you are encouraged to call our office for support, though this concern should be easily addressed in your post-procedure monitoring period.
Within 24 hours of your procedure, you can use makeup. Do be sure to stay out of the sun. Because facial sunblock can be thick and may pull on recently treated skin, try to either avoid sun exposure altogether or use a hat or similar physical barrier to block sunlight.
How Should I Get Ready for My Microneedling Procedure?
Preparing for microneedling is very simple. If possible, leave your face bare before coming into the office. Do your best to stay hydrated and try to eat something filling as you may be in the office for a couple of hours.
You will undergo a consultation before your procedure, typically before the day of the first treatment. In addition to discussing your aesthetic goals, your doctor will ask you about:
- Any medications you are currently taking
- Your history of scarring
- Recent radiation therapy
- Skin conditions in general
Medications can increase your risk of bleeding or bruising. While the SkinPen microneedling tool is considered safe for nearly all skin types and skin colors, you may not be a good candidate for this therapy if you are particularly prone to scarring. Make sure your physician knows about any retinoids you are using, even topicals. Be ready to avoid ibuprofen for a time before your procedure as well.
Finally, do your best to take care of your skin before any cosmetic procedure. Make water your go-to beverage and do your best to use sun protection when you go out. Strive to eat a diet full of fruits and vegetables so you get plenty of antioxidants and avoid tissue damage. Foods high in collagen and elastin are also a great choice, including dark green leafy veggies and red beets, tomatoes, and peppers. If you smoke, now is the time to stop.
What Risks Should I Be Concerned About SkinPen Microneedling?
Risks after microneedling are very rare. If you are not a high-risk candidate, either from medications or a particular scarring risk, you should be able to undergo this procedure with few worries. Between your pre-procedure consult and your post-procedure monitoring period, complications are unlikely. Do your best to avoid touching your face after your procedure, however, as this can lead to bacterial transfer.
What can you combine with SkinPen Microneedling?
Depending on your schedule and goals, you can combine microneedling with other procedures, or undergo other minimally invasive skin tightening procedures to make the treatment even more effective. For example, a mild or moderate peel to brighten skin overall before starting microneedling for wrinkles or acne scars, radiofrequency energy or hyaluronic acid fillers can provide you the results you desire a bit quicker. Be prepared to space these treatments out. Any procedure that breaks the skin will need a window of time around it for your safety, comfort, and results.
FAQs about SkinPen Microneedling
Schedule your Consultation
Whether you are concerned about wrinkles or acne scars, you deserve to be confident in your appearance and we are excited to show you all of your options. Contact our Princeton office at 609-279-0009, or schedule a consultation online to learn more about SkinPen microneedling treatments. Our office is at 256 Bunn Drive, Suite A, in Princeton, NJ 08540. We are excited to be part of your skin rejuvenation journey!
Why Choose Dr. Schrader
- She is a double board certified surgeon in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Otolaryngology & Head/Neck Surgery.
- Dr. Schrader is a member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- She has over 20 years of experience, 15+ years in private practice and has performed hundreds of facelift surgeries.
- Dr. Schrader Recognized as Best Plastic Surgeon by Town Topics Readers’ Choice Awards.