Dr. Nicole Schrader, a double-board certified facial plastic surgeon, offers a variety of facelift procedures to address signs of aging such as deep lines, crow’s feet, forehead creases, jowls, and sagging skin. She uses her expertise to develop personalized treatment plans for her patients in order to rejuvenate and restore them to a more youthful appearance. In this article we will mention her best recommendations for preparing for your facelift pre op.
1. What is a facelift?
A facelift, or rhytidectomy, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that targets and mitigates the noticeable indications of aging in the facial and neck regions. The surgery involves removing excess skin, tightening underlying muscles, and repositioning the facial tissue to create a smoother, more youthful appearance. There are many facelift options, with each one targeting a specific area of concern. These include the full traditional facelift, neck lift, mini facelift, brow lift, and eyelid surgery. The type of facelift that is best suited for you will depend on your individual needs and desired results.
2. How long does the procedure take?
A facelift can take anywhere from 2 to 6 hours to complete, depending on the type of facelift and the techniques used. Typically, a brow or eyelid lift take less time than traditional facelift surgery, which takes the longest. Make sure you wear loose fitting clothes to help you feel comfortable during your surgery.
3. What risks are associated with facelifts?
As with any surgical procedure, there are risks associated with facelifts. These include anesthesia-related complications, infection, bleeding, bruising, swelling, numbness, and scarring. While the risk of a complication with cosmetic surgery is generally higher than those associated with non-cosmetic surgeries, the majority of patients who undergo the procedure do not experience any significant complications.
Dr. Nicole Schrader is a double board certified surgeon with more than 20 years of surgical experience and is dedicated to her patients’ quality of care. Choosing a qualified and experienced surgeon will minimize any risks associated with the surgery.
4. What are the benefits of a facelift?
Several benefits of undergoing a facelift that include:
- Improved facial contour: A facelift can help restore a more youthful and defined facial shape by tightening loose skin and underlying muscles.
- Increased cheek volume: By repositioning the skin and soft tissues, a facelift can restore lost volume to the cheeks, creating a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance.
- Smoother skin: By eliminating excess skin and fortifying the underlying structures, the skin’s texture becomes smoother, diminishing the presence of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Reduced wrinkling: By addressing the underlying causes of wrinkles and sagging skin, a facelift can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and provide a more youthful look.
Overall, the surgery can help restore a more youthful and refreshed facial appearance, which can have a positive impact on self-esteem, self-confidence, and overall well-being.
5. What are the costs of a facelift?
The type of facelift being performed is a large part of determining its cost. A more extensive facelift, such as a traditional facelift, will generally cost more than a less invasive procedure, such as a mini facelift. It will also determine what type of anesthesia will be used, the length of the procedure, and how long the anesthesiologist is needed. At your initial consultation with Dr. Schrader, you will be given the estimated cost of the surgery.
6. What other treatments can I do before having a facelift?
Before undergoing a facelift, there are several non-surgical treatments that can be considered to address the signs of skin aging and improve the overall appearance of the face. These cosmetic procedures can help delay the need for a facelift or enhance the results of a facelift when performed in conjunction with the surgery. Some options include:
- Botox: This injectable treatment can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by temporarily relaxing the facial muscles responsible for their formation.
- Injectable dermal fillers: These treatments aid in replenishing facial volume that has been lost over time and in smoothing out wrinkles, resulting in a rejuvenated appearance.
- Chemical peels: These treatments involve the application of a chemical solution to the skin, which exfoliates the outer layers and promotes the growth of new, healthier skin.
- Laser skin resurfacing: This technique utilizes laser energy to remove the skin’s outer layers. This stimulates the production of collagen and encourages the development of new skin cells for a smoother and more youthful look.
It is important to consult with a qualified professional to determine which treatments may be appropriate for your specific needs and goals.
7. Will I need another facelift in the future?
While a facelift can provide long-lasting results, the aging process will continue after the surgery. Physical health, genetics, lifestyle choices, and sun exposure can all impact the longevity of your facelift results.
Patients are generally recommended to wait at least 6 months to a year before considering another plastic surgery procedure. At that point, you should be completely healed and the results can be assessed accurately.
To maintain the results of your facelift, it is essential to practice good skincare habits, protect your skin from the sun, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. In some cases, non-surgical treatments like Botox or dermal fillers may be recommended to help maintain your facelift results.
8. Facelift results may vary from person to person
Facelift results can vary according to age, facial skin quality, individual medical history, and more. It is important to have realistic expectations about the outcome of your facelift and to understand that each person’s experience and results may be different.
A skilled and experienced surgeon like Dr. Schrader can tailor the facelift procedure to your unique needs and goals, ensuring the best possible outcome. During your facelift consultation, Dr. Schrader will give you a medical evaluation and learn about any medical conditions that might affect your procedure or healing.
9. Are there side effects associated with the facelift procedure?
Facelift surgeries, like other surgeries, carry the possibility of potential side effects. Some common side effects include scarring, infection, nerve damage, dry eyes, and the formation of keloid scars. Most of these side effects can be managed with proper post-operative care and by closely following your surgeon’s instructions. For example, using ice packs can help prevent the formation of keloid scars. Dr. Schrader will discuss any concerns you may have about side effects during your consultation.
10. What should you expect from recovery after a facelift?
A patient’s experience during the facelift recovery process may vary depending on the complexity of the facelift procedure and the characteristics of the individual patient. Generally, patients who undergo this type of surgery can expect a recovery period of approximately 3 weeks, so ask friends and family to drive you back home on the day of the surgery. During this time, you may experience some swelling, bruising, and discomfort, which can be managed with pain medication and ice packs, as recommended by your surgeon. You need to avoid sun exposure to minimize risks in the healing process.
During the healing process, it is important to follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions closely, including avoiding strenuous exercise and keeping your head elevated to help minimize swelling. Also when eating or drinking you should avoid highly processed foods, high-fat fried foods, sugary treats, and alcohol and eat high on salt for a smooth recovery.
In the weeks after surgery, you will likely have follow-up appointments with your surgeon to monitor your progress and ensure proper healing. It is essential to give your body the time it needs to heal, as the final results of your facelift may not be apparent for several months. By closely following Dr. Schrader’s instructions before having a facelift, you can avoid potential complications and have a smooth recovery time and enjoy the rejuvenating effects of your facelift for years to come.